Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Anita Brookner: The Bay of Angels, 2001.



Aphorism 47: “Prefer to suffer!”

Full Quote: “Uncensored behavior seemed to me unbelievably dangerous, and like the Spartan boy with the fox under his shirt I preferred to suffer.” Chapter Six

Aphorism 48: “Beware of uncensored behavior!”

Full Quote: see 47 above

Aphorism 49: “Pay your dues to friendship!”

Full Quote: “Thus I failed to pay my dues to friendship, persuading myself that in time I should do what was expected of and offer up my broken hopes for their scrutiny.” Chapter Six

Aphorism 50: “Never allow unhappiness to become routine!”

Full Quote: “It was after all a banal disappointment. My unhappiness became routine, my secret dialogues with an absent Adam ceased to ramify.” Chapter Six

No comments:

Post a Comment